Saturday, April 23, 2016

Week 8: Caught

This is probably the most successful week of this blog so far. It's not that something really interesting happened, but the opposite-- nothing interesting happened. I sat down to think about my week and what to blog about, and I realized I had nothing.

I did

nothing

new

this week.

Which is a waste. One of the reasons I am in advertising is because I love the dynamic, constantly evolving nature of the work, and I love the constant quest for creative expression that is encouraged. Yet, given all of that, I did nothing new this week. I did my job, I went home, and I did just usual home stuff. Boring? Not entirely. Fulfilling? Not at all.

One of my personal values is growing and learning and doing something unique and different with my opportunities, so obviously this week represents a failure. BUT, importantly, I realized that. I've heard a quote that said the fastest path to improvement is measurement (or something like that, I'm more than willing to misinterpret a quote for my personal benefit here), and I think this is a good example. By taking the time to try and blog my progress weekly, I discovered the need to change something in my process.

Of course, this is only part of a successful blog. Taking this lesson, and finding a way to do something different this week, is critical to transform this lesson into a victory. So, this week, I'm adding a new challenge that will make me explore a new creative direction-- I am going to write a new joke. A long joke. I haven't done this in months as I've contemplated whether or not to continue with stand up, but this week I'm going to do it anyways to make me stretch my creative faculties.

And, hopefully, turn this lost week into an opportunity to pivot and better align myself with my goals. I'm thinking I might make this weekly creative adventure a part of my blog, and determine my new creative stretch every week on here. We'll see how it goes.

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment